unit tests … maybe home grown is better
Finished the unit test migration … sort of. After reading the documentation on Apple’s unit test protocol, I realized that it was going to really constrain my productivity if I were to implement it in whole. For example, system tests can only be run on a device. That’s not good since the device is significantly slower than the emulator. However, there were some neat features and new concepts (to me). So I ended up updating my current “home brew” unit test module with the best features from Apple’s. The net result: a great unit test system. With it, thus far, version 1.4 has a whopping 17,325 unit tests! No kidding! All of them pass and the code appears to be happy!
So what’s next? I’ve been complaining about it for some time now … the [Prefs] key needs to be gutted. No doubt about it, it just doesn’t make any sense to keep doing it the same was as the CMP on a smart phone platform. The worse example is Headroom Height. Let’s say you’re outside of the US/Canada and working in metric. You want to layout some stairs so you enter your desired riser height [RiserH], your desired tread width [TreadW] and your floor height [FloorH]. Now you need to set the headroom height. Well, that’s in the [Prefs] key. Problem 1: The default value is 6ft 8in – not metric and you can’t convert it to metric. Problem 2: to change it, you have to press the + and – keys to increment it 1″ at a time. That’s going to be no fun if you need to make a change of any significance.